Let’s continue on with the Little Navy Rooibos. If you are joining me now, familiarize yourself with this dress’ early beginnings in WIP: Little Navy Rooibos.
Previously, I mentioned how the excess fabric around the hip area made me look frumpy. Both front and back of the dress are made by a single panel on fold with 2 side panels. The go-to alteration would be to sew a bit more on the side seams, but the pockets would become bulkier. My choice was to take it it by an additional 2/8″ on both sides of the center panel. In total, I would be sewing 7/8″ on the center piece while keeping the side seam at 5/8″ (I started the adjustment an inch from the top). Altogether, a whole inch was taken out. It drapes much better now.
More of a next-time tip. If planning to keep the basting stitches on the piping, be sure to sew it in the SAME colour as the piping. I goofed up on this one though it is barely noticeable. Maybe a session of un-picking the basting wouldn’t hurt.
I tried using seam tape to finish most edges but be warned!! Seam tape is not iron-friendly! The packaging warns to use a low-heat setting otherwise it will melt. Even on low-heat and ironing with a towel on top, it still melted!!
Quick trip to the fabric store and I came back with orange bias tape. I left whatever was finished as-is and did a Hong Kong binding to finish the side seams. The facing was interfaced so finished it with pinking shears.
A double-fold hem would shorten the dress much more than I would like it. I sewed the orange bias tape on the hem and folded it up to the sewn edge. Next was needlework time as I manually hemmed the dress.
The resulting dress is very conservative and cute with the piping details. I will revisit this pattern in the future (maybe a bold color blocked version).
The dress was finished in time for a Vancouver Dine Out dinner at Brix. I paired the dress with my Vogs. The outfit felt very retro.